Whether you are vegan, vegetarian or a paleo eater we find it is always a good idea to add more vegan and raw recipes into our daily diets. And of course the vegans in our PURE Healthy Way community always love getting fresh PURE ideas for recipes. Let’s face it … When the winter is coming and the days get cooler and the nights longer, I haven’t met anyone yet who doesn’t like a nice hot dinner on a cold winter’s night. So if you are looking for a hearty yet low starchy carb option without meat, dairy or gluten…look no further!
1. Begin by making a batch of Spicy Nut Meat (you can make this up a day or two before or even weeks before, if you freeze it).
2. Slice up:
- 2 tomatoes
- 6-8 mushrooms
- 2 small aubergines/eggplant
- 2 courgettes/zucchini (using a peeler lengthwise)
- 1 leek
- 3 long sweet red pepper
3. Wash two big handfuls of spinach.
4. To make marinara mix the following ingredients together and snip in some of the fresh basil:
- 2 cans of organic chopped tomatoes
- 6 cloves of garlic diced
- 2 fresh tomatoes diced
- fresh basil
- salt to taste
- Italian mixed herbs
- red pepper flakes (optional) 2 tsp. or more if you like it spicy
5. Put a thin layer of marinara on the bottom of your baking dish/pan.
6. Next make two rows of sliced eggplant.
7. Place sliced tomatoes on top and then one leek slice on top of each tomato.
8. Fill in the spaces with some of the nut meat and sprinkle the mushrooms around.
9. Cover with spinach and then do a row of the courgettes/zucchini and then cover with more marinara.
10. Repeat the layers any way you want using up the ingredients ending with marinara and then perhaps a row of eggplant topped witho tomatoes and leeks with a few mushrooms.
11. Snip in more fresh basil on the top.
12. Bake at 175 c/ 350 f for at least an hour.