Do you ever find yourself looking for a meat alternative but always coming up with vegan recipes made from nuts or lentils. This recipe uses kidney beans, mushrooms and quinoa as the meat base and can be spiced up accordingly depending on how you want to use it. For Italian recipes use mixed Italian herbs and garlic. This particular version of Vegan Meat Mix is great for all your favorite Mexican dishes.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 T butter
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 container of small portabello mushrooms
- 2 cans of red kidney beans, drained
- 1 chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp. apricot jam
- 1/2 jar of chipotle salsa
- 1 tsp. garlic granules
- pinch or two of red pepper flakes (depending on how hot you like it)
- salt to taste
1. Put 1 cup quinoa in 1 & 1 /2 cups water. After the water boils, simmer on low for 15 minutes.
2. Sauté chopped onions in coconut oil and butter.
3. Chop mushrooms to bits in a food processor.
5. Add in another can of whole drained kidney beans along with 1 carton/can of tomatoes, 1 tsp. apricot jam, salsa and spices.
6. Mix well and simmer on low for 15 minutes stirring often.
7. Add cooked quinoa, stir and simmer another 5 minutes.